Nearly done

This year for my Christmas cards, I've been trying to be a little more formal, at least in my addressing. Normally, I'm not a big stickler for protocol, but I decided that this year, I'd try it out.

So, all my cards to husbands and wives are "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" or "Dr. and Mrs. John Smith." However, I've come upon a few stumbling blocks. First, I'm not really sure what to do when the lady is the doctor and not the man. "Mr. and Dr. John Smith" doesn't sound right at all, and I know that I could actually get away with the "Mr & Mrs" but I'm not real comfortable with that.

I also realized halfway through my cards that Ms doesn't need a period. And that I really don't like the title of Ms. It's a shame that no one uses Miss anymore. And no one uses Master anymore either.

So hopefully, no one will be offended by my Christmas card addressing. We'll see, in any case. At least I can take comfort in the fact that although perhaps insensitive, it is correct by standards of etiquette.

Incidentally, the title of "Master" has greatly fallen out of favor, but is the correct form of address for young boys, usually younger than high school age. However, it is not common anymore, except in some circles.

No comments: